Job Opportunity Details
PLF Practice Management Advisor
- Working directly with lawyers and law office staff to create or improve their docketing, conflicts of interest, accounting, billing, and other law office systems. This includes on-site visits to law offices and answering questions by phone or email.
- Writing articles, blog posts, practice aids, and other resources for lawyers
- Speaking at CLEs either alone or as part of a panel
- Assisting with the closures of law offices due to retirement or health issues
- Experience with and aptitude for law office technology (software, the cloud, hardware, social media) and law office systems
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills as well as strong public speaking and presentation skills
- Empathetic, patient, and professional demeanor
- Flexibility of work style: the ability to work collaboratively and to work independently. The ability to understand and relay big picture concepts and work extensively with details
- Ability to synthesize complicated information and relay it clearly and concisely to a diverse range of people
- Exceptional professional judgment and discretion
- Five years of experience practicing law and some experience managing a law practice
The information you will provide to lawyers and law office staff as a PMA will take many forms, including making on-site visits to lawyers’ offices, answering questions by phone or email, presenting at CLEs, and writing for legal publications and social media such as the PLF’s In Brief, inPractice, and Twitter handle. You will also take an active role in developing resources, such as law practice forms and handbooks, that assist lawyers in private practice.
As a PMA, you will work with lawyers and law office staff of all generations and experience levels. Your work will require a wide range of skills and will vary from day to day. Sometimes you will be working alone; other days you will be collaborating with the team, presenting, or working with lawyers at their offices. Sometimes you will be helping a new lawyer establish a new office; other days you will be helping a lawyer or the lawyer’s family close an office due to retirement or health issues. You will utilize your experience with law office systems and management every day, and you will need a high level of comfort with and interest in technology (software, the cloud, hardware, social media). You will also use your ability to communicate clearly and compassionately on a daily basis, in addition to synthesizing and applying complicated information.
Our ideal candidate: You have five years of experience practicing law and experience managing a law practice. You are passionate about teaching law office systems and law office technology. You have a high emotional intelligence and high attention to detail. You listen actively, communicate clearly, exercise professional discretion, write concisely, proofread accurately, have strong presentation skills, and are excellent at problem solving. You work well on your own and with others. You have a thorough understanding of the Professional Liability Fund, the Oregon Attorney Assistance Program, the Oregon State Bar, and the Oregon Rules of Professional Conduct.
This position is based in Tigard with regular travel throughout Oregon.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to Barbara S. Fishleder, Professional Liability Fund, Director of Personal and Practice Management Assistance, HR@osbplf.org, with the subject line: PMA position — (your name). Please use your cover letter to tell us a few sentences about what you uniquely bring to the PMA position and our PMA team. If you have any specific salary requirements, feel free to include them in your cover letter. Compensation is based on experience and includes a generous benefit package. We will consider applications on a rolling basis, beginning on May 10, 2018.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Application Deadline: June 11, 2018