Administrative errors, such as missed dates and deadlines, account for the majority of legal malpractice claims. Improving your office systems can substantially reduce your risk of potential claims and enhance the enjoyment of practicing law.Free and confidential assistance with office systems is available to all Oregon lawyers for a wide range of needs through the Professional Liability Fund’s Practice Management Advisor (PMA) Program.
If you are interested in reducing your malpractice exposure, streamlining your office systems, opening your law office, or closing your law practice, contact a practice management advisor at 503-639-6911 or 1-800-452-1639 or complete an online contact form. For an overview of available PMA assistance, click on the tabs below:
- Creating and using a conflict checking system
- Implementing and using a calendaring system
- Setting up periodic file reviews
- Keeping paper and electronic files organized and up to date
- Establishing systems for opening and closing files
- Establishing procedures for file retention and destruction
- Improving workflows
- Selecting a "buddy" or "assisting attorney" to help close your practice in an emergency
This material is provided for informational purposes only and does not establish, report, or create the standard of care for attorneys in Oregon, nor does it represent a complete analysis of the topics presented. Readers should conduct their own appropriate legal research. The information presented does not represent legal advice. This information may not be republished, sold, or used in any other form without the written consent of the Oregon State Bar Professional Liability Fund except that permission is granted for Oregon lawyers to use and modify these materials in their own practices.
© 2019 OSB Professional Liability Fund.